Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The One

I've been staring at the blinking cursor for several minutes, wondering how to start this blog. A gal of many words, I don't often find myself at a loss for them. Nonetheless, here I am, stunned.

Monumental '14 training is done.

AND I NAILED IT.

The eerily empty Pull-Tab Chart, just before my final training run

Every run that was scheduled? I ran it.

Every mileage that was planned? I reached it.

Every pace that was set? I hit it.

And I'm NOT INJURED.

Terrific Training
I have never had a training cycle that wasn't at least temporarily derailed by injury, illness, or just plain malaise. Over four months and 500 miles of training, one would expect a missed or aborted run somewhere, but I have been incredibly fortunate... or stubborn, take your pick.

Every run, ran. Every mileage, reached. Every pace, hit.

I still can't believe it.

For my Crohn's-y body to make it to a starting line healthy, doing all I've done in training, is truly remarkable. The training experience has me absolutely brimming with confidence and tenacity. I want that course. I NEED that course. I have a score to settle with that course. Never have I been in a better position to perform.

Goal
As previously mentioned, my goal with this marathon is to run the whole thing without stopping to walk. I originally wanted to finish sub-4:30, but I adjusted that goal to sub-4:22 after a reassessment of my current fitness. Truthfully, I want a sub-4:15, and also truthfully, I could probably run much closer to 4:00. However, I don't want too much, too soon. I just need a good, well run marathon.

The Plan, Man
My plan is to start the race extremely conservatively, a 10:00 min./mi. pace. Every 6-7 miles, I will accelerate gently. I will take fuel every five miles. I will sip water or a sports drink at every water station. I will be paced by Wendy's brother, Wes. Sam Rightmyer will run with us for the first seven miles, until she takes the half marathon exit. Wendy will join us at mile marker 20.

And then I'll run 6.2 more miles to the finish, where Ed and Mom (and Dad in spirit, and maybe Sam Cobb), will be waiting for me.  Collapsing into Ed's arms will be a splendid reward.

Now in taper ("Tapertober" just doesn't have the same ring as "Tapril"), I am taking every precaution to make sure my body is primed for the purpose. I'm hydrating. I'm monitoring sodium intake. I'm eating Vitamin C tabs. I'm staying off my feet. I'm visualizing success. I'm even doing the silly things like knocking on wood, avoiding walks under ladders, and calling shooting stars "good omens."

I've done the work, I've attended to the details, I've memorized the plan. All I must do is execute the plan that will carry me the last 26.2 miles of this story.

This is the one.

This is finally the one.

****
Follow me and other Monumental participants on Nov. 1 through Athlete Tracking.

No comments:

Post a Comment